Saturday, September 8, 2012

On panicking, art and baristas.

Oh, sweet, sweet fall. This morning I am sitting on the back deck wrapped in a Snuggie (like a star, thanks) enjoying an actual chill in the air. Hello, life, you are perfect today.

So this week brought with it a panic attack, a new book, art and a job. The latter three are utterly ideal, the first less so.

1) Panic attack. I never do anything halfsies. I'm definitely more of an all-or-nothing breed of human, especially when it comes to any kind of emotional state. This week, that took form in a super subtle (but altogether time consuming) I-don't-have-a-plan-WHAT-IS-MY-LIFE?! nervous breakdown. Okay, I'm exaggerating. It wasn't a breakdown. But I'm trying this new thing where I, you know, check in with God and let Him fix me, which (let me tell you) is turning out to be no joyride. I mean bring on the life lessons and changes of heart, Big Guy, but this road is bumpy and I will need plenty of help.

2) New Book. To offset the panic, I got a treat. My friend Lexie mentioned last week that I remind her of Catherine Morland, the heroine of Northanger Abbey. I figured I might as well meet my novel doppleganger, and I had a giftcard to Barne's and Noble anyway, so I went to pick up the prettiest copy available and am deliciously excited to curl up with tea and get lost for the next few weeks.

3) Art. If we are being 100% honest, we can all admit that Kansas City is not the most hip location on the planet. I mean, it's the midwest. HOWEVER. There are hip things about Kansas City, and I was certainly a part of them last night. ie: First Fridays, Westport art show, and McCoy's. Which basically translates to: art galleries, free wine, live music, local art vendors, lots of hipsters, raspberry beer, and a few more hipsters.

4) A job. More specifically, a job that makes the very short list of "Dream Jobs", which makes it freaking awesome. Yes, friends, I am going to be a barista at a KC-based coffee joint and it will be the bomb. I am legitimately dying of excitement. Because, really, baristas are the coolest people. Right? They are always peppy, always kind, always give you coffee. Seriously. The best. To be part of that group of top-notch individuals makes me giddy. Come get coffee from me.


1 comment:

  1. I will come get coffee from you as soon as I'm back in the hip-happenin' KC!

    ReplyDelete