Monday, June 25, 2012

Why I have a degree in theatre.

If you have participated in the performing arts, you have probably experienced the gigantic sigh of relief, exhaustion and nostalgia that is the Monday after closing. Even when I thought I would be relieved to see a show go on Sunday night (or I can't wait to get "We welcome you to Munchkinland, tralalalalalalalala" OUT OF MY HEAD), by Monday afternoon I miss it.

For the last two weeks, I have had the immeasurable pleasure of putting up a show with a bunch of elementary, high school and college students. I say pleasure because, despite wanting to strangle sundry little necks when the children would not be silent backstage (and 13-hour work days), there was enough laughter, joy, and good work that made the frustration worth it.  The worst part about this job is that I fell in love with it, and in five weeks it will be over for real.

I love that about theatre. Three weeks ago, I knew I would be working with three college friends at a local youth theatre for the summer. It was just a job. Today, I have fifty-trillion new best friends that I will genuinely miss come August. Theatre people (the good ones, at least) are just that way. They can be insta-friends because they get each other. If you're those people, you know what I'm saying. The theatre world is special that way, isn't it? It is never just a job. Creating art together forges a bond that makes you miss the rest of the company the Monday after closing. It makes each show special.

That's why I have a theatre degree. Because I want my work hours to be put towards making something beautiful with other slightly strange, loud, goofy people that will (just maybe) change the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment