Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thoughts on Gatsby and friends.

True to form, I devoured The Great Gatsby. For one, it was just a really great read (I fully get what all the fuss is about) and for another, it was much shorter than I thought. Somehow it made sense that one of the most famous books of the twentieth century needed to be a hefty volume that would take two months to finish. Nope, two days. But I am sufficiently inspired. Bring on more Fitzgerald! Here's what I thought about while I read:

1) I was completely intrigued by Jordan Baker from the get-go. There is a part of me that wants to be her, despite the fact that she is maybe not the most ideal person from which to model one's life decisions. The cool, casual, sporty-but-sexy thing she was rocking is totally twenties and TOTALLY a vibe I wish I had going.

2) Thank goodness I just finished Costume History with LaLonnie and knew so much about the roarin' twenties. It definitely helped me visualize Gatsby's smoldering summer flings (in the immortal words of LL: "chicky poos flapping their legs around"). I was also able to nod knowingly every time people were referenced to as "men and girls". In fact, I can't remember reading the word "woman" once, except maybe in reference to Myrtle Wilson. Why? Because a young, slim, girlish figure and adolescent behavior is what the twenties were all about. (Lord help me, I'm about to launch into a Costume History essay.)

3) I could not get over how beautifully Fitzgerald used words. Seriously. Gorgeous. Not too flowery, but descriptive enough to get a perfect picture of the city, people, and season about which he was writing. The dude is brilliant.

4) Poor Gatsby. Poor, obsessed Gatsby. My heart went out to him immediately. Daisy was not worth the five years he spent on her. Sure, she was mysterious and pretty and probably really nice, but I personally think she lacked passion and determination and courage. I wanted her to rise to the occasion and courageously leave her sexy tool of a husband. Or at the very least show up to the freakin' funeral. Poor Gatsby.

5) Poor Gatsby's dad. He was part of the story for all of one chapter, but his unwavering devotion and complete pride in his son was precious and heartbreaking. When nobody came to the funeral, I imagined his face falling and Nick having to pat him awkwardly on the shoulder to console him and it was the saddest thing.

Okay so I ended on a downer. Sorry. But this book really was the bomb. When I bought it at Half Price Books, the checkout lady said "Oh, that's my daughter's favorite book! I hope you enjoy it!" And I did. Also, HOW PERFECT that the movie is coming out the December. I will be so in the know.

No comments:

Post a Comment