Sunday, February 9, 2014

For the (super broke, twenty-something) lovebirds.

Blues on the record player: Check
Cozy blanket: Check
Coffee mug: Check

Let's talk about date night.

(I know, right?! Who would have ever guessed I would be blogging about something as couple-y as date night?)

My handsome gentleman caller (who will henceforth be referred to as "Boyfriend") and I had a conversation a few weeks ago about dates, and what to do about them. Because, frankly, we are just as easily pleased with pizza and fifteen episodes of "Chopped" as we are with putting on real pants and going out for a fancy dinner. I know, how typically twenty-something of us. But, hey, we are both strapped for cash most of the time and pants are just... hard.

Lounging around all the time is not exciting, we've noticed. Nor is it stimulating. Boyfriend and I decided we wanted to spice things up. So I said to him, "I HAVE AN EXCELLENT PLAN, MY SWEET."

Thus was born, Ten Dollar Date Night.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Ten dollars
A boyfriend
Target, Wal-Mart or the Dollar Store

WHAT YOU WILL DO:
1) Take your boyfriend to Target/Wal-Mart/the Dollar Store and give him five of your ten dollars. Tell him to pick out whatever he wants. You take the other  five dollars and do the same. If desired, up the ante and give yourselves a time limit. 20 minutes maybe?

2) Let the games begin.

This is what Boyfriend and I ended up with after our trip to Target:

BOYFRIEND:
Disney Princess tattoos
Baby Animal valentines

ME:
Star Wars puzzle
Bubble bath
Mini Airheads


We began our evening by tatting ourselves up. And by that I mean, I ended up with 15 trillion Disney princesses all over my forearm, and they didn't wash off for two days. No. Really. Two days. (THE PRICE OF LOVE, Y'ALL.)

Then we moved to writing valentines for all our favorite people, including each other. My roommate ended up with many sweet little nothings, since she happened to be home and we could just throw valentines at her.

Next, we hunkered down for a THRILLING half hour of putting together an incredibly difficult Millennium Falcon puzzle, with Airheads for sustenance. Those cosmos are no joke. They all look the freaking same.

Finally, for the grand finale, we lit all the candles I own and filled up the bathtub with hot water and bubbles. Which obviously meant...

We soaked our tired, old people feet in a bubble bath and listened to Louis Armstrong. (The best part was, Boyfriend had to sit on the toilet since the bathroom is set up such that only one comfy chair could be pulled up beside the tub.) Okay, so it wasn't as relaxing as I was thinking, but we cracked ourselves up in the attempt, so that counts for something.


 All I'm saying is, Valentine's Day is later this week. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment