Monday, August 6, 2012

The Star Wars box.

As I am now an independent post-grad, the parents have requested that I clear out the bulk of stuff that has been hogging closet space in the room that is officially no longer mine. A long process, for sure, and one that is maybe meant for a more organized mind than mine, but it must be done. And can I just tell you how amusing this job has been so far?? Real talk, friends, I forgot a lot of things about the little girl who wanted to dance for the New York City Ballet and wrote a detailed book about training to be a Jedi. I had also forgotten about the ever-so-slightly dramatic teenager who filled notebook after notebook with stories, journals and big plans.

The best find was a plastic bin filled with magazines, books, puzzles, and (I kid you not) cereal boxes that had one thing in common: they were Star Wars themed. Friends, this is no joke. There was a 3ish year period in which I drooled over anything and everything from George Lucas' universe. There may or may not have been a hand-crafted lightsaber (which looked strangely like a giant tree branch) involved.

Going through all that stuff, being back home in familiar haunts, and spending time with old faces brings a certain amount of nostalgia. I've said jokingly a few times, "Thank GOD we grew up!" But seriously, thank God I grew up. As I look over my shoulder at the headstrong dreamer who had designs on B-way and worldwide fame, I am eternally grateful that God said "Woah, woah, woah, crazy lady. Try again." Then He put the brakes on a million more plans and showed me new ones.

In Ephesians, Paul writes "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."  BUT SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Praise God, who 1) has a brilliant plan for us and 2) is constantly changing our heartbeats to match His. If one is willing to listen, God can slowly change the tune of your heart so that it is perfectly in sync with His plan. Coolest? COOLEST.  Certainly hard to swallow at times, but as I remember the girl I used to be, I am nothing but thankful for the changes that I have put me where I am now. Somebody was looking out for me in a big way. The journey is far, far from over, but I have great hope for the rest.


I showed my little brother my Star Wars collection. He was all, "Wow, Raych. That's SUPER cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment